Sunday, December 25

Main Anna Hoon ..!!!

On my way to office, I decided to take a detour and slid my bike through a one way lane with traffic moving right opposite me.

If you ask me, it was necessary not only to evade the two kilometer long road kissing a u-turn and come back on the other side, plus it saved me a lot of time for not being on road during rush hour. If you ask an onlooker, it was a foolish act and from a traffic policeman’s point of view, it was Christmas calling!!!

These guys they just love it when people are out of their senses and commit such mindless things and get busted. Frankly, if KFC had to advertise for “finger lickin’ good” caption, they must click the traffic police-walaas having a burger in one hand and driver’s wallet in other, cheering to the camera, “I am lovin’ it!!!

Anyways, to cut short, I turned out to be a Santa this year for Chennai traffic police.

I somehow ignored the police van approaching me while I was sneaking on the wrong side, more like an ignorant moth running towards its own death. I thought I was imperceptible but I guess, not stealthy enough for the traffic police.

I stopped and removed my helmet as the traffic policeman stepped out of the van.

Before I could say anything, the traffic policeman broke out, “Saar, wrong side of road, heavy fine, Saar, License please, Saar”.

I handed over my license to him.

I am sorry Sir, it’s a mistake, it won’t happen again”, I said.

Saar, a mistake is a mistake, you will be heavily fined Saar”, he said raising his voice.

Please Sir please … please Sir”, I cried.

Google Images
With the nation roaring to the anti corruption vibe led by Anna Hazare and every young Indian dressed like Anna echoing slogans during protests of “MAIN ANNA HOON”, I too, decided not to bail myself out by bribing the police. I was adamant and firm not to present my vulnerable side by showing greenery or asking leniency and being sweet. After all, I was supporting the anti-corruption cause.

I said to the police guy, “Saar, I support Anna hazare. I am ready for all kinds of punishment and will not undergo any sugar coated conversation!!!

The policeman looked at me surprisingly and said, “Aapadiya??? I too support Anna ji and will charge you with whatsoever legal fine we have in our books for your mistake!!!

I was unaware of what was coming. I guess my big mouth consequently led me into more trouble. The policeman cleared the phlegm in his throat and cried “Saar, fine of Rs. 500 for your mistake as per our records!!!”

500 just for moving my bike on the opposite lane and I haven’t even covered 100 meters. Don’t you think that’s too much to ask for?” I replied. God, when did they last update their fine list I wondered?

It’s perfect for your mistake YOU ANTI CORRUPTION ACTIVIST Saar!!!” said the policeman.

I turned around to check my wallet. I was like hit by a truck, I had the last 150 in my pocket. Before I could add any more to my misery, I smiled at the policeman and said, “Sir, i believe, we shall wait for LOKPAL BILL to get passed in HOUSE and then talk about the legal (honest) things .. till then, can’t we figure out a more effictive way to deal with this matter and get things settled right here right now?

He immediately relaxed his facial muscles and said, “Alright, how much do you have?

ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY”, I underlined and said.

Sweet, Skip it across, take your license and do not turn back!!!” he said and I obeyed to his instructions.

I did not turn back nor did I pay him the complete legal fine for my mistake. After all, we both were happy!!!

Inference:

This incident just made me realize, is common man or the System really interested in having the Lokpal Bill? After all, everyone is vulnerable to make mistakes and get rid of things the alternative way, then why do we need a transparent system.

When we cannot change the way we do things then how will we support the bill thanks to our parochial thinking? Every second person in India has this attitude: “My Money is MY MONEY and Your Money is also MY MONEY”, then how will we be able to follow the LOKPAL BILL?

P.S: Views expressed here are all very personal and should not arise any kind of agitation in people’s mindset about our system or in favor of / against campaign!!!

P.S: This also marks my entry for the “SETS YOU ON FIRE!” Contest by KFC on IndiBlogger.

Happy Reading!!!

27 comments:

  1. Very interesting post Rahul!! Guess how hard we try to be good, we just cant!!!
    All the Best for the contest:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best for the post!..but I really detes the people who drive on the wrong side in one way traffic or even otherwise flout the traffic rules..thats not done..specially by educated people..whatevr the reason:)..sorry Rahul thats my thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Renu,

    yeah i learnt my lesson from this incident ...

    since then i stopped taking the shortcut route!!!

    regards
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Arti,

    thanks !!!

    yeah we people think that we can do away with corruption but at the sametime we forget we are the system .. its so very complicated that its real hard to get out of this circle!!!

    regards
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting post,u r right 'LOKPAL BILL'not to easy to follow. we have to change first our self...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post.. and yes.. we do need to think of how much any of us is sure to want the lokpal.....

    it's easy to say we are anti corruption... but are we truly in real life? Glad you atleast didn't fake undying and unfaltering support like most of us are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice efforts:

    phlegmation.blogspot.com

    conceptphotoblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Indu

    yes i agree but i don't know but i have this gut feeling that nobody today is actually interested in this bill .. it's just people want something against the government and because they do not have anything else so they are firing the bullet by keeping the gun on Anna's shoulder!!!

    regards
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ jojo

    yes exactly what's the point of having something inplace when we ourselves are corrupt from the core and asking someone else to fight against corruption ..

    well said jojo

    regards
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Ajay

    thanks .. keep visiting!!!

    regards
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  11. The problem with corruption is, one might save a bunch of 350 rupees per encounter but they will lose much more due to this attitude, later on. And the loss is not always monetary. Sometimes, its better to take the difficult way out. It takes quite a bit of experience/ time for people to understand this. Of course, this comment was not meant for this particular situation, but in general.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ DI

    i completely agree with you .. i was at mistake!!!

    but the thing is no matter you try to improve yourself but at the other people won't change at all .. and one fine day you'll be so very much frustrated with yourself in trying to be the GOOD .. that you will give up your nice nature and follow the same old wrong system and be a part of it...

    just a view...

    regards
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great writeup for the contest Rahul. Quite an entertaining and intelligent post. All the best:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely written Rahul!!
    So much for trying to be good in our country!!!
    Best Wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice story
    its very difficult for common man to follow rules.
    but you tried to be honest thats great

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Saru,

    thank you Saru .. great to have you on my blog once again!!! :-)

    @ DS,

    thank you ..

    @ SM,

    difficult .. i'll say its dangerous and impossible to follow any rules in India .. wish the British should have continued ruling on us .. at least we would have been better in some sense ..

    regards
    CA

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. rules will work only when all work it cant be one sided ..

    moreover its not the rules at the moment which are a problem a lot of things infulence them tooo



    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Bikram,

    yeah i agree, amendments, rules, rules to follow the rules and many other things goes into having common consensus .. which i believe will remain a dream .. Sad!!!

    regards
    rahul

    ReplyDelete
  20. when we think about future then only we can think big

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ angel,

    exactly, that's what i did .. i thought about the future : me behind bars or getting a punch on my licence for breaking the traffic rules .. so only i took a step back and negotiated :D

    rahul

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's the main hitch, you know. We support corruption, without realizing what we are perpetrating.

    We must take a strong look at ourselves first.

    ReplyDelete
  23. exactly Anupama .. that's what my point of writing this post was!!!

    we are the perpetrators for this ongoing corruption .. we cannot criticize the system because we are the ones who defines the system...

    thanks for dropping by,

    have a great week ahead

    rahul

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very interesting Write-Up Rahul. Enjoyed ur narration of the Event. All the Best for the Contest Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. thank you Christy and wish you the same...

    happy pongal to you and all at home!!!

    rahul

    ReplyDelete
  26. i feel this has been one of your best posts. your honesty shines through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ma'm.. :-)

      glad to know that you liked the post !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...