Wednesday, September 23

Fibonacci Series


Life, sometimes, is funny. Well, for me, it was quite opposite; life was sometimes serious but was never very serious.

Today, I’ll share a very interesting incident happened during college. It may not sound hilarious now but from the day I experienced it, till date, I do laugh whenever it comes in mind.

It was my first year of college and Computer Science practical exam was going on at 3 in afternoon. The practical session would not last for more than an hour.

Computer’s was one subject I loved to hate and would always run for covers. It was my final practical exam before I could move into the next semester. The invigilator was an old guy like a service class employee, very lethargic in his movements and with wrinkles all over the face.

Soon after the verbal (oral) evaluation, the last half hour in the torture room was given for performing the practical. It was more of an execution room where the innocent was made to sit in an electric chair and was given shocks until dead.

On the teacher’s desk was the Pandora’s Box which had the entire C program name chits written on it and each one of us was suppose to build code on whatever chit was picked from the box in last half hour. Only half hour, I knew I was already screwed. I almost gave up.

C reminded me of Yashwant Kanitkar’s “LET US C”. Whenever I had a thought about the book, I always believed there was lot of sarcasm, wickedness involved in the way Yashwant titled it ‘let us C’ and true as everything sounded Greek to me.

Anyways those chits in the box were like evil about to unleash. My hands were trembling and water running down the spine with round circles whirling around my eyes as I lifted one paper bit out of the god-dam box.

As I was tried to figure out exactly what was mentioned in the slip, a heavy voice like that of YAMRAAJ came from behind. Soon I realized lords' from hell has come to take me away with them. As I turned, it was my invigilator asking for what program was mentioned in my slip. I slowly read Fibonacci series followed by a loud uproar from the teacher saying, ‘’Go to your desk and start writing the code on F series’’. Without lifting my head and eyes stuck on to the paper, I stumbled upon my desk. It’s not I was mentally engrossed in thinking the logic for the program, in fact, was actually trying to figure out the meaning of the word FIBONACCI.

The guy sitting next to me, Rajesh, was a quiet guy who knew computers more than me, at least.

I thought he’ll be my saviour and I slowly whispered to him, “Dude, any idea what does Fibonacci series mean?” Rajesh took more than expected time in replying, “Dude! Fibonacci was a Chinese who discovered geometric progression series: 2, 4,8,16...” My immediate response was, “Discovered???” Rajesh exasperated, “u want to know or not”. But was he sure, even Rajesh didn’t knew. Anyways, his reply came as a signal of relief for me but for a short span.

I again glanced at my slip and found some random numbers written at the bottom with OUTPUT as the word describing those numbers. I showed it to Rajesh and his immediate response was, “dude, u r screwed...”

I started cribbing some stdio input output codes on the blue screen.

It was the last ten minutes of the session when the invigilator decided to visit each student’s desk and evaluate him/her on the basis of code written. When I and Rajesh were left for the final evaluation, suddenly, the bell rang stating the end of session. The teacher announced, “Please show me the final outputs now as your output will determine your logic’s design.” Soon after Rajesh’s brutal evaluation (as his output was all blank black screen, unfortunately), the teacher paced his steps towards me and observed me pressing the compiler and debug controls on the screen. As he came across, the black output screen popped and Fibonacci series was generated. The teacher was enthralled to see the outcome and prompted, “Son, you’ve learned your concepts very well, am proud of students like you!!!”

But how did I manage to print that output. Well am writing the same code I used in exam and now, will surely never forget for the rest of my life.

The Fibonacci code:

#include
#include
void main(void)
{
int i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s;
clrscr();
i=0;
j=1;
k=1;
l=2;
m=3;
n=5;
o=8;
p=13;
q=21;
r=34;
s=55;
t=89;
printf("%d\t%d\t%d\t%d\t%d\t%d\t%d\t%d\t% d\t%d\t%d\t%d\t",i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t);
}
getch();
}
So was the corresponding output.

5 comments:

  1. that was one description not read in recent past...Rahul, it was hillarious at times in between...
    and the end was simply too good...Prof. didnt really bother to have a look at your code written in...
    good work bro...
    it was funny...
    Raghav

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rahul

    We at Onion Insights (onioninsights.blogspot.com) are always happy to come across bloggers like you. We are also glad to inform you that your writing skills can now be put to good use and you can make some extra money too.

    Get paid to shop, dine and report and make some extra money using your writing and observation skills. The concept is pretty simple. Top retail chains, five star properties and fast food chains in India hire our services to get their stores evaluated through the eyes of a normal customer. We are looking for people in Chandigarh who frequently visit these outlets and write well.

    Every week there are a certain number of reviews in your city. Based on your availability and interest, you can choose to perform a review for us. You visit the outlet and notice what’s going on. You then go to our website and fill in a report which has a questionnaire and comment boxes to help you document your observations.

    Within 15-20 days you will be paid a pre determined shopper fee which will include an reimbursement for any amount spent in the store plus an additional shopper fee. That’s how the system works.

    Follow the below mentioned steps to sign up as an OI reviewer

    Go to this link http://www.sassieshop.com/2dcs
    Click on new shopper sign up
    Click "India" under new shopper and click on "go"
    Enter your basic information in the form and click on "sign me up"

    Please call us at +919769781001 or shoot us an email at support@onioninsights.com if you have any other queries or any difficulty while signing up.


    For more details log on to www.onioninsights.blogspot.com

    Warm Regards,
    OI Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your visit. Your post reminded me I haven't written a fib in a long time, so , in honor of your visit....
    http://emptygarden.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/life-a-fibonacci-poem/

    jorc

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanku Monali...glad that u enjoyed reading it....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...