Monday, February 9

The Emirates

Day 1:

Feb 7th, Saturday, Morning 3 AM

I am sitting in a not so isolated Chennai airport @3, waiting for the first call for passengers traveling to Dubai in an Emirates flight EK 543. No doubt, I was pretty excited about my first international trip to Johannesburg via Dubai, but on the other side, I felt far too sleepy, and, icing on the cake was, I could see most of the passengers half slept in a manner, as if, performing some roadside gymnastics, truly, a “statue” moment.

Anyways, the first call was made to board the flight. I along with the bunch started off our journey on a very exciting note. I was more content not with the fact of boarding an international flight but for making it till here (P.S. Luck off course played a crucial role in my selection). The Emirates flight to Dubai from Chennai was all set to depart. Truly speaking, Boeing 347-700 turned out to be a helluva experience for me. You need to see it to believe it. Three parallel rows with monitors on each seat, the ambiance, the comfort level just left me baffled in a pleasant way. There were loads of movies, games, radio channels, TV and you won’t believe this, a phone to make calls from the flight to your loved ones back on earth. Truly, unimaginable. Last I saw this was in Face off movie, when Bruce Makes a call to his wife traveling in the plane hijacked at around 40k above ground.

The flight took off at quarter to 4 and in an hour, the staff served me with, I may call it as either my Friday night’s dinner or Saturday’s breakfast. Channa masala with boiled eggs and “Jacob Creek” red wine. WOW!!! That was my first reaction. But, I knew there’s more to come, after all, Emirates is known for their service. Fact: In Emirates, they serve you every 2 hours, to keep you up and comfortable on long journeys. I plucked in my ear phones and watched “Death race” movie for around an hour and a half, till the hostess came in and asked for anything to drink. I hesitated initially, like any normal Indian would do, but, then, I finally asked for a beer (only if it’s complimentary). Well, next thing was, there was a Heineken beer right on my turning meal stand and water in my mouth and passion in my eyes as it never occurred in my life history when I get to experience the taste of Heineken. As soon as this not-so-sugary nectar touched my lips, I felt salvaged. Carrying on ahead, I was fed with my second breakfast with snacks and chocolates as add-ons. The transient journey died as soon I landed in Dubai at 10 IST. Well, the 6 hour journey turned out to be a definite roller coaster for me.

Waited at the terminal for 2 hours before boarding into a new Emirates flight EK 743, hitting Johannesburg this time. The similar ambiance as I experienced in the first half, I was flooded with more beer and more wine. I decided to watch two and a half movies back to back (half because I have already seen the movie back in India). I started with “the bank job”, followed by “High School Musical 3” and finally “Singh is king” and in the meantime, I experienced the best of Dubai’s non veg in the flight along with JC wine. I would say, I was tired eating but they were not tired serving. So, we landed in Johannesburg at around 4 in the evening (7:30 IST). The worst part was, jet lag was set in. time on my wrist was nowhere in sync with the timings in SA. I got uncle SAM’s dollars exchanged in rands (SA currency) and purchased a Vodacom mobile connection in the airport itself. Frank was there to do the pickup and I settled myself in BMW 320d front seat. My second WOW experience. He offered me to drive it but I depressingly backed out. we made our way to the guest apartments where I met many Indians and got accustomed to their climate and habitat and style of living. People who were already staying in were very supportive and cordial. I met Krishna and Kiran, and these were the guys who shared their apartment with me. I had my very own personal room in SA now. No jokes!!! Late in the evening, krish and I, went to an ISCON temple which was a very enchanting experience for me. There were too many Indians there which gave an impression of being in India again. Thanks to Mahatma Gandhi, there was 1 more india but not in india. I was too tired and about to call it off for the day when a welcome party came as a surprise to me. I had “johnie walker” whisky along with butter chicken and rice. Well, this was one day in my life where I had more alcohol than water. I came back to my room and slept tight to seal the day with my first international south African blog diaries.

More to follow…

6 comments:

  1. its strange...

    while reading this post, all i get reminded are the days when u used to starve urself to death back in chennai!!!...having jus one meal a day!

    Times change my friend!
    All for the better and the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rahul now in SA ?
    Yaar dats too gud a news ;)
    Enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oye rahul! glad to see u posting...n being sober inspite of being drunk...hehe;)
    hav a grt time da...n keep us posted.. looking fwd to it..!
    btw,amidst the company of JC n ' Heineken n' Jhony...remember the masala dosa's n bread omlettes n' SP tea...missing ur company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kavi..

    as i said..its all chicken chicken chicken here....(i havr myself become a chicken...hehe)so i cant resist it anymore...even if am not starving or full...still, cing chicken adds palpitation to my taste buds..and i just love it

    @ nan

    yeah, thnx..so i finally made it to SA

    @ Anoop

    thnx bro..
    yeah how can i miss those days, those moments v spent together having SPT, dosas and esp. bread ommellettes..those days r unforgetteble bro..no day SA food is better then our indian SPT... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey dude,

    good to see ur post after a long time... good that you finally reached ther and that 2 after such a "pleasant" journey, full of "Kwaab", "Shrab" & "Sbaab"... but as ANOOP also mentioned, in all these, dont forget CHENNAI'S Masala Dosa(Kwaab), SPT(Shrab) and your very own DK (Sbaab).. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Sehgal,
    no bro i wnt forget anything especially days spent with u there in A5..i'll relish all those daz forever...

    miss th days v spent together watchin movies..esp rajpal yadav scenes etc etc...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...