Sunday, March 9

Saabudaane Ki Khichadi

Date: 6 March 2008

Venue: G2 arunagiri towers, chennai

Time: 20:00 hours

Mission: sabudaane ki khichadi

Motive: Maha shiv ratri’s fast. One is suppose to have nothing on this day except fruits, juice and milk. Although 1 time’s meal is allowed.

In charge: Sanket Rajawat (my room partner)

*For all those bachelors, who stay away from home and want to have a hands-on-experience on how khichadi is made, just note down the recipe that i’ll be publishing in this post.

The day was almost coming to an end. With the dusk setting in, me and my room mate sanket were counting hours in the reverse direction for midnight to fall. It was the day when we celebrate MahaShivRatri by keeping the fast to worship our deity. Although it’s been a routine experience for sanket to keep the fast every year but i was making my debut on this day. The not-so-long exile of being away from food gave a shrill to my spine and the idea of it, one night before the D-day, freaked me out. But my roomy supported me in keeping it. He promised me a fantastic meal in the evening if i pass this exam of abstaining myself for the whole day, Keeping in mind that a meal was included and was not meant to beak the fast in any way. The name of the meal was sabudaane ki khichadi, which reminded me of a programme aired on some channel named , “instant khichadi”. I immedietley prompted and asked, will it be instant one or not???????. He had a firm reply with a smile that you need to wait for some time if you want to enjoy the pleasure of the meal. I had no idea how this thing was made and how much time will it take as i was hearing this name for the very first time.

He asked me to fetch some stuff from the market to make this recipe and i accordingly followed his orders. the ingredients included 6-8 potatoes (normal size), saabudaana(javarsi in tamil—i was in chennai during this incident and marketing here was more in tamil then in hindi) half kg, some jeera, refined oil, peanuts, black/white salt, sugar and red chillies. We were all set to prepare the khichadi with our naive but exciting jugalbandi combo. Firstly, he asked me to boil the potatoes in a cooker for 15-20 mins till the time they were soft and put the entire saabudaana in a big bowl containing water so that the white bed of saabudaana gets completely soaked in water (this was supposed to be done for an hour and the idea of waiting for another 1 hour left me almost dying). he got a big kadaai(a semi spherical pan ) on the flame and poured some oil in it. Added some jeera to it to check whether the oil was hot or not. Then the boiled, crushed potatoes were added to it and heated for sometime. He asked me to add some white salt and red chilly powder meanwhile to it followed by continuous mixing. For me the color had already started to come in the dish and i was ready to attack the on to the kadai. But he asked me to wait for sometime because it was still without saabudaana. The all wetty saabudaana was added along with peanuts to the mess created and was mixed again for some time. I asked him to taste it after a while. He said that some more masalas need to be added along with some sugar. He tasted it again and the idea was an instant hit. The taste was superb. We were ready to enjoy the meal with curd to give some flavour to the dinner prepared.

Finally, we ended our day with a well made out dinner which we cherished a lot. I thanks sanket, my room partner for making me learn how to make this khichadi and survive at the time of fast.

The mission was finally over and we went off to sleep to wait for the next dawn.

Sanket, i’ll never forget this experience and this recipe. Thanks a ton bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...